Thursday, August 25, 2016

Saturday, August 20, 2016: My Journey is Complete

The morning started with a bang. Literally. There were many many gunshots being fired outside my window. Yes, I had heard them before, but today was to a different level. I know I have explained my hotel room as right near the beach with a view of the Christo, making it seem glamourous, but in reality, there are slums all around us. Homeless people line the streets, trash littered everywhere. My window doesn’t just face the Christo, rather the view is overshadowed with crumbling houses. A place where gunshots are prevalent. Maybe I didn’t notice as many gunshots the other days since I was never in the room. But they were definitely there, roaring loudly today.

This morning, I did get to sleep in a tiny bit, but I had work at 8am. Part of our role is to help with the nominations of the flag bearer, and today was the announcement of the winner Simone Biles, who would carry the American Flag in Closing Ceremonies to represent the conclusion of the Games (Closing Ceremonies wasn’t actually until the next day though).

Our flight wasn’t until 9pm, so at least we had some of the day to enjoy. Of course I had to go run on the beach for my last time. When I come back down here for Paralympics, I will be living in the Athlete Village, so I won’t get my morning beach runs ever. I had to enjoy my last moments here while I had them. Bridget came with me, and we just took it slow to enjoy the morning. There was a weekend market set up, with touristy knick-knacks being sold under an array of tents. We cut our run short to browse through, although it wasn’t much. Not knowing the language did not help in any sort of negotiation of prices, an expected practice to do in these types of markets. I didn’t mind paying the full price of $10 for a couple things to help these people out. Much better to give them a little. And $10 is nothing compared to the highly inflated prices of Rio logos knick-knacks that we pay for in the Official Rio Megastores. 

We headed back for some work that Bridget had to get to, and then I had a call I had to be ready for at noon. It wasn’t really a day-off like we planned, which seemed to be a common theme. And we had to head to the airport at 3pm. Yes, a 3pm departure from our hotel for a 9pm flight. I guess our shuttle service really wanted to be safe with time. I’m okay with that, but 6 hours seemed a little extreme to me. Regardless, that was when I would be leaving. Bridget and I decided to do one last walk around for last minute gifts and sit down for a little lunch before heading out. Back at the hotel, I packed up my last items. Or, rather, shoved my last items in. My one suitcase had expanded quite a bit to a suitcase and a duffel bag (packed especially for this reason… I did think ahead about that). Despite my shopping that accounted for the extra duffel bag, I do believe that I brought the perfect things for the Games: the right amount of clothes, the right type of clothes, the right shoes, the right toiletries and all of that. I learned a few things I would love to have when I come down for Paralympics, but really, I was quite impressed with my packing for a month-long trip. If you know me, you know that that is not usually the case.

Our drive to the airport was a little bitter-sweet again. We smelled the sewage, we saw waste piled up in the bays, and we glanced out over a Favela that housed 500,000 people. That morning on the beach, we had seen a protest about how the Olympics wouldn't do anything to help the poor, or rectify any of the Favelas. And then thinking about all the peoples' lives in this one Favella (a population inching towards the size of Denver) made it all that more visible. Hosting a Games should leave good behind. New infrastructure, more buildings and housing, and more money. Instead, we have seen all too many times the "ghost-towns" that have been left behind in the past (like Athens and Sochi). Where money is invested in the Games, and the Games only. Just for the show. Not for the future. Will these new stadiums really be used? Will the economy derive any value from hosting the Games? Will their promise to clean the water prior to the Games (yet didn't) ever finish? I don't know. I don't know if it was the right place for a Games. I don't know what the future will look like. But I do know that simply hosting an Olympic Games wouldn't be able to solve their entire economic crisis or clear out all the Favelas. No matter what. It's not the fault of the Olympics. It might not have been the best time to host it, but the Olympics can't solve all those issues. But what the Olympics does, and will always do, is display dignity through the power of sport: bringing people from across the entire world, onto the same stage, to compete on the field against one another in the spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play, and without discrimination. It leaves a legacy of sport. And Rio didn't disappoint. 


We got to the airport in ample time and found our way to the Premier Lounge (like the United Club, but for multiple airlines). Luckily, Bridget had status to get us in. We worked a little, but then were fortunate enough to be there right when the Men’s Soccer team gold medal game was being played on TV. Brazil versus Germany. Brazil was looking for redemption over Germany, who had destroyed Brazil in the semifinals of the World Cup the year prior, shattering Brazil’s dreams of owning that title. So, here was Brazil’s chance to come back. And, the people in the lounge were all rooting for the Brazilians, making the atmosphere boisterous. It was tied at the end of regulation and went to overtime. No one scored in overtime, so it went to penalty kicks. Best out of 5 penalty kicks, and then if still tied, one and one. Our flight was about to start boarding, but we had to stay and watch. Both teams made their 4 kicks. 5th kick coming up and Germany missed. If Brazil made their last one, they won the Gold. And who else but the star and captain of the Team (and world-renowned player) Neymar to take the field. He shot a laser into the net and stands (and the lounge) erupted in jubilation. Brazil was taking home their first Men’s Soccer Gold Medal! On their home field. On the last day before Closing Ceremonies. Everyone in Brazil was cheering (okay, except for the Germans) for this victory, including us. And for that one moment, no one was thinking about the problems in their lives. Rather, they were lost in celebration of an achievement from 11 players on a soccer field bringing home a Gold in honor of their country. And they were part of it.

What a perfect moment to stand up while clapping and high-fiving others, head to our gate, and say goodbye to Brazil and to the Olympics. My journey was complete.

Last morning run on the beach

Goodbye Rio!

Ciao! 

3 comments:

  1. Loved your journey!
    Thank you!
    -Ibu

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara, I'm from Brazil and found out about your blog from your father's post in Facebook, since I'm a big fan and follow him in FB.
    It was great reading your posts from the point of view of a foreigner and I enjoyed very much reading about it. Of course the Olympics would not solve all the problems (very far from it) but as you said, it's wonderful to see the whole world gathering and celebrating together through the power of sport.
    Thanks for sharing your adventure and looking forward to read more posts in the Paralympics.
    Best Regards!

    Tchau! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete