Thursday, August 25, 2016

Friday, August 19, 2016. Goodbye Flamengo.

I couldn’t believe that I would be leaving the next day! I felt like there was still so many things that I wanted to do, wanted to see, and to experience. But, I knew I would be back soon enough (for the Paralympics in just a couple weeks). Truthfully, I wasn’t very home-sick. Yes, missing Tony of course, but I have heard so many people down here grumbling about how much they hate it here and can’t wait to get home. I have a completely different feel than that. I love it here. I love my morning runs, I love the people I work with, I love our dingy office room shared with 5 people, I love looking out at the Christo during the day, I love walking down to the little bistros for dinner, I love the fresh air, I love doing work from down here, I love helping out on other projects, and I even love our car rides to work. It has become my home away from home.

Today would be my last day going into the office. We took a bit of the afternoon to go over to the mall for lunch and shopping. I had my favorite salmon dish (yes, my favorite meal from Brazil was at the mall! But, you have to remember that the malls here have nice sit-down restaurants). And then, we just went shopping. I wasn’t on a mission to find anything, but Bridget had a few things on her list she wanted, and I would never turn down a trip to the mall. It felt normal: just walking around a mall rather than the craziness of the Games.

After our extended “lunch,” we actually didn’t have much time when we got back to the office before the car was headed out. It was actually very rushed. I didn’t feel like I got to say my proper “goodbyes” to Flamengo as I gathered up my stuff in a hurry. Other work people would be there a couple more days to do the final tear-down, but Bridget and I would be the first to leave the next day. We hoped we remembered everything.

Flamengo now has a special place in my heart that I will remember forever. It isn’t the most grandeur of a place. It isn’t the famous beachside with waves crashing along the coastline. It isn’t the iconic statue of Christ. It doesn’t have a panoramic view of the city. There are no cable cars like on Sugarloaf. It doesn’t have historical markings like the Selaron Steps. But, it was my place. It was beyond just an office building to me. I felt a sense of belonging there, and that I had purpose. I would wear my USA shirt and Team USA Staff badge with pride when I walked around the grounds, making friends with the guards. I had somewhat of a daily routine, but it wasn’t mundane in the least. And getting to walk two steps out from my office into the fresh air (and watching elite athletes practice) is exactly the type of place that I need. Despite being on the go all the time, and definitely tired at this point, I had more energy there than I have had in a while. I felt happy at work, and not a single second of it felt like “work.” I know how fortunate I am to feel this way because I know many other people don’t have the same feelings. I am not sure if it’s because I have kept such a positive attitude the entire time, or I’ve just been extremely lucky with my set-up, but I cannot say one bad thing about my time at Flamengo.

I had planned to go to USA House that night with my friend Ryan. I was tired and I kinda just wanted to stay in and get packed up, but then I thought: this is my last night here! I must go out and enjoy it!!! I got excited thinking about celebrating my time here. So, I jumped in the shower as soon as I got home. But then, my phone was buzzing while I was in there, so I looked at it immediately when I got out. At least 4 texts from my boss, Kacie. More of the swimmers issue. I cannot give the details, but something would be happening the next day and so she asked me to do research on a few things. I immediately started working on it, not even getting out of my towel. I wasn’t sure how much information she would need or how long the work would take me, so I had to cancel on Ryan. I told him that I just didn’t know how much I would need to do for this, and he shouldn’t be just waiting on me. I felt bad and gave him the two tickets that I had so he could enjoy it the next night with a friend. It was the right decision to be made as I had to work with my boss Gary on it for a while longer, and it was what I am here to do. 

It is what it is. I had already gone to USA House, so I wasn’t feeling like I was missing anything. I did feel bad for canceling on Ryan, but as I say over and over, these are the Games and we have to roll with it. Things come up. I went across the street for a quick dinner with Bridget, and came back and started packing. A task that I didn't believe I was doing.

My team at Flamengo

Flamengo crew

Flamengo fields (a renowned soccer field for Rio's finest)

Flamengo fields again

Part of our "office" buildings... this is where lunch was held

Our weight room that was set up for our athletes, and that we will donate and leave

Lounging area (this was mostly for athletes as we had a separate couch room in our office)


No comments:

Post a Comment