Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Monday, August 8, 2016: My First Event?

Although I did get up for an early run with Rachel and Bridget this morning, I definitely was feeling more tired. However, my energy level here is a world of difference here compared to the lag I felt when in Houston for Team Processing. In Houston, I had to sit in a windowless conference room all day with no sun, no fresh air and AC blowing the whole time. I swear, the lack of fresh air and lack of even seeing the sun (even if just outside a window) wore me out for some reason. Here, I get the sun, I walk outside all the time, there isn’t stale AC blowing everywhere and I am always on the run which gives me that extra boost. And, of course working with people who keep the mood fun and light.

I woke up feeling very itchy on my legs again—did I get more bug bites? However, I realized on the way to work that the “bug bite” from the day before was not a bug bite, but rather the beginning of a rash that had progressed all over the back of both of my legs—red and puffy and itchy. I asked our med staff here for more Cortaid and they gave me Claritin and Benadryl as well. After asking me a few questions, they think I had an allergic reaction to the sheets in my bed (well, the chemicals the hotel uses to wash the sheets that is). My skin is quite sensitive (many allergic reactions), so this wasn’t something shocking. It’s not anything serious either or anything I would be worried about. It just made my determination very clear about laundry and not have the hotel wash any of my undergarments…

Today, we had a meeting scheduled at our outside counsel Law Office. The outside counsel has helped the USOC with all the numerous contracts and international and Brazilian laws that we have had to comply with with renting out buildings, building a shop, transporting things in, gifting items, etc. They are also on standby during the Games to secure criminal counsel for any athlete or staff that might find themselves in trouble.

In anticipation, I brought a dress with me in my bag to change into. Regarding what I’m wearing here: all comfy clothes. Shorts, capris, jeans and a comfy USA shirt (USA shirt while at work, plain shirt while walking around the streets). I wear tennis shoes most every day with the amount of walking we do. So, to put on a dress (a dress I would normally wear any day of the week to work) felt out of place. I felt so over-dressed putting it on. Luckily, it was the right decision to change into that.

We (me, Gary, Chris who is the USOC General Counsel and Larry who is the USOC Chief of Security) arrived at the law office and it was beyond what we expected. We thought we were just meeting with a couple people over a casual get together. We got to the 24th floor and headed to the lounge area. However, we didn’t sit in any of the couches set out. We went straight up to the windows that over-looked the bay where the sailing took place. And right at that moment, the boats took off for their Olympic event! So, now I can tell everyone that I have watched an event.... Just from a little bit of distance J We walked into the conference room that was set up with fancy table settings for a catered lunch. Much more than we expected. And then, about 10 of their partners and top lawyers came in to join us. It was definitely an experience of them trying to woo us, beyond just a business lunch. That was an event in itself. We spent a good time talking about the process of what would happen if any of our athletes got into any criminal trouble, or arrested, and what we could do to help them. Basically, note to anyone: don't get arrested in a foreign country. Our anticipated one-hour meeting lasted three times as long, but it was helpful. They are on Brazil time here. Like their traffic. Slow.


 We headed back to Flamengo but not long after we got there, our internet went down so our driver took us back early to the hotel to finish up work there. I was ready for a chill night, and we all said we would just run out and grab a quick dinner. It didn’t feel like it was dragging on (enjoying the company), but then I realized that it was already 10:30pm when we got back. It’s hard to get to sleep early here with everything that you have going on in the days, and then, even when you make it back late is right when the swimming competitions start and you stay glued to the TV watching the action. How can I ever complain about that though.

Flamengo Office Crew

 Flamengo Office

View from Law Office

Olympic Sailing Event!

Bridget with a fruit Caipirinha

Gary with a regular caipirinha

A little sweet to end the day

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoy reading your blog. Thank you - please keep sharing. I hope the Benadryl worked.

    ReplyDelete