Saturday, August 6, 2016

Day 2 (Sat 7/23): In Awe

(Wrestling, Canoe/Kayak, Women’s Gymnastics)

Sleep-in day. Our program didn’t start until 1:30pm, the only time during these 12 days where it wouldn’t start at 8am, so it was nice to have a morning to get a few things together. I got up for a run and was introduced sharply to the Houston heat and humidity! It was still only 8am when I went, yet dripping sweat after a few minutes (sorry for the details here). A stark contrast to the freezing cold air-conditioning in the convention center. I thought it would be easier here, coming from altitude. Nope. This is a different kind of difficulty. My run turned into a jog/walk…

 Despite the 1:30pm start time, we went down early to set-up and meet with our Ambassador of the day: Laura Wilkinson! The 2000 Gold Medalist in 10m platform diving! One person I looked up to in my life diving. Although I had competed against her in my past, she would never have remembered me (she was a bit older), so I introduced myself and told her how I was a diver. It was an honor for me to be giving a presentation with her!

 As the clock clicked towards start time, the Olympians started filtering in! The women gymnasts, despite their small stature (okay, itty bitty, tiny), rose to the forefront of the room. I looked at them in awe! Here they are, in front of me, with me about to give them a presentation, and they are legends! Little Gaby Douglas and Ali Raisman and the incredible Simon shined. The men’s wrestling team and the canoe/kayakers were there as well, and I would have to say that they were also in awe of those sweet gymnasts.

 Laura was such an inspiration in her presentation: telling her stories of victory and success, over-coming hard times, explaining how she responds to various situations, and how she created a lasting legacy from her persona. Despite the timid presence of the gymnasts, they were fully participating and asking question after question. Okay, okay, yes, they did look back a couple times to make sure their coaches weren’t standing in the room listening to them… haha.

 Laura brought her gold medal to share with the athletes, and let them hold. In one part of her presentation, she told her story of when she was in college and a swimmer brought home his medals for everyone to see and hold. When Laura held that first gold medal, she was inspired: she thought, I could do this! And so, now, she brings her Gold medal with her everywhere and shares it with everyone. Because for her, she wants to inspire people just like she was, and give people the ability to dream big. It represents more than just herself, but her community and her family and friends and coaches. She wants to give back by sharing it instead of keeping it locked up in a case. She doesn’t care that the gold plating is rubbing off.

 I was thankful. Thankful to be here supporting, and thankful to be a part of this. I don’t have stories like Laura or of the gymnasts, but I realized that I am part of the movement regardless: everyone who watches and is a fan and who supports the Olympians is part of what makes the Olympics the greatest stage in the world. It a stage that unities the entire world together.




No comments:

Post a Comment