Saturday, August 6, 2016

Day 5 (Tues 7/26) and Day 6: Getting in the swing of things

(Mountain Bike, T&F)

I changed up my presentation again (each day so far I have made little amendments). After I presented, I actually felt like it went quite well! I have been asking this girl Sarah who is our media guru for tips every day. I am so thankful that she provides them, and I incorporate all of her suggestions. When I sat back down after my part, I asked her if I did better today. Ironically, she said: “I thought your best day was yesterday.” Go figure.

 The athletes ask me tons of questions in the presentation. Most of them are very difficult to answer. Generally, the IOC rules are so strict that I can’t even begin to tell you how many things are prohibited. And, truthfully, the rules can be quite confusing. There are so many grey areas. For example, what would be something that is marked “conspicuously” for advertising purposes? It just depends. It’s all on a case-by-case basis. I have to look up the rules after I’m done with the presentation (even though I’ve read them numerous times before), and I set up an email with my two bosses for their input. We end up more confused than we started. You are probably thinking, how can this be. Well, just be thankful that you don’t have to know or deal with it and leave it at that because three lawyers spend hours spinning their heads around rules and rules and rules and still can’t decipher everything.

 Despite Sarah telling me that yesterday was even better, I was actually happy with my presentation. I have a couple parts that make people laugh, and I’ve incorporated more examples into my speech rather than just reciting rule after rule after rule. I asked again if there were other things I could help with, and once again, they were like: we are all set, but thanks. So, I figured, I would just do what I was here for, and do my work. They know I am more than willing and ready to step in, they would just have to ask rather than me beg. So, I was at ease: fine with understanding my role. I mean, it was still a big role for the day, so this would be my focus.

 For dinner, I grabbed some of the catered athlete dinner (sometimes we are allowed to do that), and ate with some of the other staff, laughing throughout. A good way to get back to feeling that unity between us all.

Day 6 (Wed 7/27): Carl Lewis (Rowing, Cycling, Men’s Gymnastics) 


Carl Lewis. I walk into our meeting room and there Carl Lewis is. One of the greatest of all time. I have to admit, he was never a hero of mine, so I wasn’t really as awe-struck as everyone else in the room was. I remember once giving a presentation with Shannon Miller. Now that was someone who was my idol and I got so nervous even being around her that I clammed up! I just chatted with Carl like we were friends. And wow, is he the most personable guy. He made sure to know all of our names and just shared all these stories with us (normal stories, not like the inspirational stories during the presentation). Carl piggy-backed off of Dan, so he actually didn’t speak much, but the athletes still loved him! I know this because the surveys said so, and the line of people waiting to take a picture with him extended far. I felt bad for Dan O’Brien standing to the right of all the pictures, an over-sight.  But, wow, Carl Lewis was here. 

(I didn't get to finish this one... We ended up going out to this cute authentic German restaurant which was a fun change of pace at night, but the rest of the day after the presentation was quite like the rest)





No comments:

Post a Comment