Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Monday August 15: Sugarloaf hike

I took the morning "off" on Monday to hike up Sugarloaf mountain with Gary and his family (still woke up before 6am though to get an early start). Sugarloaf mountain is a landmark in Rio as a tourist-must with its panoramic views from the top of the mountain. It was coined “Sugarloaf” by the Portuguese in the height of the sugar cane days in Brazil, as the mountain supposedly resembles a block of sugar. However, to me, it looked like all the other granite and quartz mountains rising sharply from the ocean, outlining the coast of Brazil, rather than an instant conjecture of a sugar cube. Two cable cars bring visitors to the very top: one cable car to the height of the first mountain top, and the second all the way up. There is a trail many visitors take up to the top of the first mountain, which is what decided to ascend. We were told it was just like a walk in the park, and although there was a clearly marked, well-taken care of trail, there were many stairs with the sharp elevation gain. Nothing at all like the incline in Colorado Springs, but it was a good, pleasant hike, that also got me sweating.

We then took the cable car up to the top of the second mountain and gazed at the scenery around us: all of Rio. A hike isn’t possible up to the second mountain. There is only one other possibility to get to that top instead of the cable car: rock climb up the steep face. We actually witnessed a few of these people, but it’s not like there was a rope even connected to the top, but rather the people cinching in along the way.  Not something we were attempting on that day, or ever to be honest.

The view from the top takes your breath away. A 360-degree panoramic view of miles and miles of ocean and mountains and coast-line and beaches and bays and the city skyscape. We saw the iconic Christ the Redeemer statute standing tall over the city, offering its protection to the people with its outstretched arms. The morning fog was just burning off, which gave the scenery a mystical feeling. The pictures will give you the best sense of this view as words fall short.

We left early to do this, as we heard the lines later in the day become un-bearable, hours at least. We did beat the crowds and got back down before 11am. Luckily. The crowds were already building up, very very fast. I heard sunset is the absolute best time to get to the top, but I would take the morning view anytime over waiting in long lines. If you know me, I am not the most patient person.


I went straight to work after that, and was there for a good 6 hours or so before heading back to the hotel. I didn’t even ask anyone if they were doing anything for dinner. All I wanted to do was go out to dinner myself and enjoy being alone and enjoy the quiet. Sometimes, that’s just what I need. I strolled down towards the beach area, got my table for one, had a glass of wine, and loved sitting their peacefully eating a wonderful meal.

 View from the start of the hike up Sugarloaf

Hiking trail up

Making our way to the top

 Cable car from first mountain to second mountain

Morning mist burning off

Cable car up to the second mountain

View of copacabana



View of the bay

Christ the Redeemer in the background




5 comments:

  1. Beautiful!
    I'm so glad you got to hike and such a spectacular hike!
    -IBU

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Sarah! I grew up next door to your mom in Lafayette. I have really enjoyed your blog. I felt like I've had the insider's view of the games! I also feel like I got to know you a little bit, even though I haven't seen you since you were a baby. Thanks for taking the time to write it! Christy Hansen Eiland

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like an amazing hike. So glad you are sharing your experience in Rio.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like an amazing hike. So glad you are sharing your experience in Rio.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful hiking experience to a spectacular vista. Quite magical. All of your hard work for many years is paying off, Sara. It is great to read your experiences and thanks for sharing them.
    We are all super proud of your work with the Olympics. This is not from Evan, this is Laurie. This is going to show the comment is from Evan?

    ReplyDelete