Sunday, August 7, 2016

Friday, August 5, 2016. Opening Ceremonies – let the Games begin!

I woke up early to get up for a run by the beach at sunrise. To start off, I want you to forget some of the “wows” I was saying yesterday and get a new image of “wow” from the scenery of Rio’s majestic beauty. The beach and city scape were just stunning at dawn. I ran down the few blocks down to the beach and just stopped in my tracks. I paused the run for a minute to walk onto the sand and look out over the mountain tops in front of me, watching the sun peek through the crevices. Image any postcard pictures you see from Rio… those were in front of me, in reality. And hundreds of people were already out and about, running or walking around (yes, at 6:30am), so I felt perfectly safe. What a perfect way to wake up and be introduced to my first full day in Rio.

After a hotel breakfast with delicious fresh fruit (despite being winter, the fruit selection was expansive and full of flavor), we got into our shuttle car to head over to Flamengo, our work location. The drive takes about 10 minutes, max. It’s 2.7 miles, so there are a few people who have done the walk, either in the morning or at night (although we are warned about going when it’s dark). Despite the safety I felt in the beach area, walking to work would be a little different: in one part, you would have to walk through a tunnel where many homeless people call “home.” I guess bikes are available for us to take as well, but biking on the streets here might be even more dangerous than walking, but for a different reason. The people here are quite crazy in their driving skills. We literally have to shut our eyes in some parts, hoping that we won’t get in an accident. Signal turn lights are non-existent. Lines are rarely followed. Space between the cars are extremely narrow. There is a designated bike lane, but still. I would feel more safe walking.

I got into our USOC office which is located in the building connected to all the training facilities and found a place in our staff room at a table to set my stuff, hook up my computer, and call my new home. I look out the window to the Rugby field, and the Christo looms tall in the nearby mountain (although now, the view was to the back side of the statute). The water polo team were practicing in the gym next to us, which I peeked into. I started doing work, but I told everyone here to let me know when they needed help as I would step in any time. Soon enough, help was requested and I was more than eager to help, no matter what task it was.

And, the task of the day definitely wasn’t too bad. I helped with checking in all the media who were granted access to interview and get footage of the Men’s Basketball team during practice! I had to check people off, lead them through “security” (which some guy just opening a gate for us… no metal detectors, no bag check, no equipment check, of which there was a plethora of… top notch… especially to get into the basketball area). We’d bring them down to the gym where the Basketball players will practice daily. Although the basketball players are training at my work, they really just arrive in two secure vans that pull up to the gym, and the guys walk about ten steps into the gym. They don’t venture over to our area (across the rugby field), won’t use our weight room/gym, definitely won’t be eating our lunch which consists of a sandwich bar, but it still feels cool to be near them. Just knowing that they are right in our presence elevates the feeling of being surrounded by greatness. We got to watch some of the practice as well. Not too long, but we were right there, sideline to the court, watching Keven Durant and Klay Thompson and Carmelo Anthony and Draymond Green and Paul George and Kyrie Irving shooting the ball with Coach K. I felt star struck taking a few pictures. (Note: Did you know that the average age of Team USA basketball team is just over 26 years old? It dawned on me that I am looking up to these legends who have all completed such success by such a young age. An age that I exceed by 6 years! So incredibly accomplished already)

The gymnasts and rugby players were around and asked to stop in to watch the basketball practice as well. I had already left, but I heard the story about this. I guess as their practice was winding down, the basketball players invited the other athletes down and starting playing around with them. They all started throwing the rugby ball while the rugby guys gave them some tips. And then, the funniest picture you will ever see is one of the gymnast girls standing next to DeAndre Jordan (she literally looks like his 7 year-old daughter). I see that picture and just think about how the Olympics brings so many people together, all on the same stage: tall or short, young or old, and coming from all races and all religions. The Olympics doesn’t see race or color or gender or status. It’s not a place where you have to fit into one mold to be successful. A 13 year old swimmer or a 61 year old Equestrian athlete get to take part in the next 16 days together when the intersection of the all the greatest athletes from all the greatest sports meet at the Olympics. What made the story even greater that afternoon: the rugby players signing a rugby ball for the basketball players!

We watched the rugby team practice later. This is the first time that Rugby will be in the Games, so you can tell their excitement to take part in the inarguative appearance. Their practice field is gorgeous (you can see the picture of it which gives it much more justice than do words). A few of them were getting interviewed, as we sat on the sidelines, right outside of our office, trying to eavesdrop ever so slightly. I have never attended a Rugby game, but it’s actually one of the top sports that I want to watch here! I have heard that the atmosphere and vibe in one of those games pulls out more energy in a crowd than any. A few of us talked about trying to get tickets for Wednesday.

The buzz everywhere was about Opening Ceremony and where people were going to watch it. We had a crew who went to the Flamengo Club (across from where we work), but a good majority of us decided to go to USA House. USA House is set up by the USOC as a place for athletes and their family (and anyone with a pass) to go relax, watch TV, and get food and drink. It’s a comfortable safe haven. Despite the casual dress that everyone is in, it’s actually a quite up-scale type of event to be part of. Every USOC staff gets only two tickets in during the entire games to see it. We have the ability to purchase more tickets, but each additional ticket runs for $350! I didn’t really want to use up one of my two passes on this first day (especially considering how I promised one to my friend), but I also wanted to be with my crew. Luckily, Bridget (who works with us) gave Gary and I an extra ticket each so we wouldn’t feel guilty about using ours (since she is an exec level, she gets extras). My decision was made.

We ubered to USA House. Yes, they have uber here and in fact, it is highly encouraged for everyone to take. There is even a virtual-type “uber stand” at the USA House (don’t ask me to explain). They are quick, easy, and very cheap. They don’t need to know English when you type in your destination address online.

After checking in and getting a badge (yes, they printed lanyard personalized badges right there), we went and checked out the USA Store immediately to the right. Ralph Lauren and Nike sets up shop and sells their Team USA Gear (which even has store hours to the public, the first time that has ever been done). I looked at the price tag of one of the Ralph Lauren dresses that the USOC had given me (and that I didn’t even bring because I didn’t really like it). This one dress was over $200! It makes me think about how much they hook us up with gear.

For Rio, the USOC actually rented out a primary school on Ipanema Beach to serve as USA House. Renovations to this school had to be extensive (this was actually a very large school—4 stories), but the USOC saw it more as giving back to the community with lasting upgrades. The entire school was re-painted inside, new floors were put in, and the playground was actually shipped out to renovate instead of paying for somewhere to store it.

The bottom floor had multiple hanging out rooms and seating areas—tables in one area, beach chairs (Rio theme) in another, and a lounging coach area. There was a big buffet and open bar as well. This room was definitely the biggest and most populated. The second floor had the LA 2024 exhibit area (the U.S. is bidding for the 2024 Olympic Games in LA and promotion/public support is in full swing right now before the IOC vote in 2017). Then, there was a floor of just storage space/offices and another floor of offices (the exec team and marketing). Then, you make your way up to the rooftop! There was a grill fired up for hamburgers, and another open bar. There were a few different seating areas as well (with very comfy couches), and TVs all around. But, nothing would compare to the view! It overlooked the beach and ocean, and out in the distance, the lights from the distance sparkled against the dark sky. It was perfect t-shirt weather, even when it got to 11pm. We watched the Opening Ceremony right up there (through the NBC feed so we could listen in English… I heard it’s quite expensive to set up that feed down in Brazil). A good amount of people went to the Ceremony itself (from the USOC, athletes of course, and the athletes’ families) so USA House wasn’t very packed, which was extremely nice. We watched the show, and what a show it was! After the U.S. athletes walked through, we headed back home to the hotel to rest up for yet another day in paradise.



















No comments:

Post a Comment