Saturday, August 6, 2016

Thursday, August 4, 2016: Headed to Rio: Sketch to Incredible

I looked out the window as we were landing in Rio. The plane passed over some lagoon/bay (some body of water), and I saw trash floating all over. I noticed this pollution before I even touched down. Ut-oh, I thought. We’ll see how bad this really is.

 There was an extremely long line through customs, despite having the special Olympic-only line (for athletes, and any person who has a “PVC” which is a pre-validated-card, the Olympic credential). And then baggage took a little while, along with exchanging some money. Luckily, the USOC had transport set up for me, but we had to wait for all the athletes to get their bags and depart. Finally, after about 2.5 hours after landing, we headed out to our hotel. On the ride from the airport, you could see the poverty visible in the decrepit buildings lining the highway. Roofs were in shambles, bricks coming off, trash in the streets, and some buildings/warehouses looked evacuated for years. I wonder if homes had been destroyed and families displaced in order to build this road for my convenience. I knew that had happened in many other locations where Rio built brand new hundreds of millions of dollar stadiums among the slums, where the slums will stay slums and the stadiums will probably go un-used for the most part in the future.

 We made one spot for one guy, and then headed on to my hotel at the Mirador Hotel in Copacabana, the infamous beach region in Rio. My hotel is a about 4-5 blocks inland from the beach, and although I couldn’t see the beach, I could feel its presence. I could feel the ocean breeze, something I longed for after the Houston heat. I got checked in and headed up to the room. I was told that the hotel was very very nice (for here, that is). I wouldn’t go so far in hyping it up compared to what we are used to in the States (my Hilton in Houston was luxury compared to this), but it was beyond liveable. I’ve heard of many other horror stories, so I was extremely thankful to see clean sheets and a working toilet (what the athletes in the Olympic Village still yearn for). I was initially supposed to have a roommate, but I was told that I had my own room for now. Whew. Although, they tell me that someone might join me later on (I think they have to tell me that just in case something arises where someone would need to be placed somewhere at the last minute), but I don’t anticipate anyone coming in. But, because of that, I am in a room with three twin beds (I didn't know that existed). Not something we usually walk into a room and see. I opened the blinds and looked across the buildings and up the mountains and there, from my window, I had a view of the iconic Christo Redentor. What a site it was! Whatever shortcomings the room may have are outshined with a view like that.

 I met up with my boss Gary for some lunch and we walked down the street (still a side street and away from the beach) to a local seafood restaurant and had fish stew. Fresh octopus (my favorite of the day), squid, fish, shrimp, muscles, some fish eggs that looked like a stack of meat (not to be tried by Sara), and topped off with a free caipirinha. Now I felt like I had arrived. Now, my journey was beginning. Gary and I decided to do a small detour to the beach before heading back (his first time at the beach in two weeks). Just a short 4 blocks down, and there is was. Copacabana Beach. Packed with people. Thousands everywhere. Coconut stands and restaurants and pop-up bars were spaced along the beach (but nothing over-whelming). I had to take my sandals off and feel the sand. A cool breeze drifted through my hair. It wasn’t very hot, a cool climate actually, but of course quite warm when we consider that this is their winter. Wow. This beach. The mountains outlined the coast, rising sharply from the flat ocean. The bright blue ocean and milky white sand amidst the lush green mountains was a sight to see. We talked about what Rio might have looked like the first time people settled here: without all the high rise buildings and just pure wilderness lining the ocean. Despite the population of 6.3 million people in Rio, you still get a sense of that wilderness with the mountains looming over the ocean. I just smiled and smiled and smiled. I was finally here. Here in Rio on this incredible beach and here for the Olympics! Everything that I had been looking for (and what a difference than Houston). A great start to my Rio experience.

Gary and I took a few pictures and headed back because I had to meet up with Klay Thompson’s PR agent (yes, the basketball player). Klay had forgotten something in Houston that he desperately needed, so I became the bag lady to personally deliver it. Don’t worry, I don’t think I’ve ever been so excited to carry something while traveling for someone else! No, I wouldn’t be giving it directly to him, but it was about as close I will ever get!

We were going to call it an early night, but we had been invited to a reception at the country club where I would be working out of (kind of). I will be working at a place called Flamengo. Flamengo club is like a country club for all purposes. The USOC rented out the back half of it for a training venue for some of our athletes, including: Basketball (woohoo!), Gymnastics, Water Polo, Rugby, Rowing, and Judo. The USOC invested money into a few of the gyms to renovate it for the city, to leave a legacy for the future. The Flamengo Club is being rented out at night by the Olympians Association, and since we worked there, the invite was extended to us (and actually, we found out we could go any night we wanted). The CEO of Modern Pentathlon (who we work with a lot) was in charge of running this Club throughout the Games, so it was easy to get access. 3 floors of a party were going on—we were late so we missed Thomas Bach’s speech. We made our way to the rooftop, where a live band was playing, people were dancing, and drinks were flowing. The Club looks out over a serene lake (yes, this is true), which is also the Rowing venue. A water polo “friendly” between the US and Australia was going on in the pool on the other side of the Club, which we peeked over and watched. Once again, wow. Was I really here? Was this what the Games experience is like? Is this what Rio is like? It had beyond exceeded my expectations more than you would even know. It was just spectacular. I know I will have long days, but just this first introduction was worth it. I was in awe. Don’t listen to any of the rumors about Rio distract you from what a magical city it is. Yes, there were the bad parts that I immediately saw, but that happens in every big city. Getting to be here, in a foreign country, and knowing that I will get to explore the streets is everything that I wanted. When I got back to my room, I called Tony before heading to bed, and my day was complete.










2 comments: